Skip to main content

COMMON MISTAKES IN THE USE OF VERBS

 

COMMON MISTAKES IN THE USE OF VERBS

We will take a closer look at some common mistakes in the use of verbs.

Incorrect: I have visited him yesterday.

Correct: I visited him yesterday.

Incorrect: They have finished the work a week ago.

Correct: They finished the work a week ago.

The present perfect tense cannot be used with adverbs that refer to a definite point of time in the past. If you want to say when something happened in the past, you have to use the simple past tense.

Incorrect: We had gone to the movies last night.

Correct: We went to the movies last night.

Incorrect: I had seen him yesterday.

Correct: I saw him yesterday.

The past perfect tense is not used to say that something happened some time ago. That idea is expressed using the simple past tense.

The past perfect tense is only used to suggest that an action had completed before another action commenced.

For example, you can say: We had eaten our dinner before we went to the movies last night.

Incorrect: I had spoken to the boys about my holiday.

Correct: I have spoken to the boys about my holiday.

We use the present perfect tense to talk about actions and situations that happened at an unspecified point of time in the past.

Note that we use the past simple tense if we mention a specific point of time in the past.

Incorrect: He hanged the pictures on the wall.

Correct: He hung the pictures on the wall.

Incorrect: The terrorist was hung.

Correct: The terrorist was hanged.

Use hanged to talk about execution by hanging

.ENGLISH GRAMMAR 

Shared by HikmaBoy

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CLASSROOM ENGLISH: 300+ CLASSROOM PHRASES FOR ENGLISH TEACHERS

Pic. ( Hakielimu) Hello.! learners, Today we will look at the Important classroom phrase for English teachers, I think it will be helpful for all student/teachers, especially who take English study for teaching, Welcome here we go. Acknowledge thank yo u. GREETING / WELCOMING PHRASE Hello, everyone. Good morning, everybody. Good afternoon , class. Hello there, Tom. Good afternoon, everybody. How are you  today? How are you getting on? How’s life? How are things with you? Are you feeling better today, David? What a lovely day! What a rainy day! Today is very cold, isn’t it? ntroductions My name is Mr/Mrs/Ms Smith. I’ll be teaching you English this year. I’m your new English teacher. I’ve got five lessons with you each week  Time to begin Let’s begin today’s lesson. Let’s begin our lesson now. I hope you are all ready for your English lesson. I think we can start now. Is everybody ready to start? Now we can get down to work. It’s time to begin, please stop talking. I’m waiting ...

WRITING SKILLS - WRITING LETTER

  How to Write a Letter? Knowing how to write a letter, whether business or personal, is  a skill  we all need. Sometimes, these letters will be short and informal emails. Other times, they'll be highly polished for corporate correspondence. Below, we'll lay out the specific steps for letter-writing, explore some general tips, and review two specific types of letters. Writing a Letter Letter Writing A letter is a written message that can be handwritten or printed on paper. It is usually sent to the recipient via mail or post in an envelope, although this is not a requirement as such. Any such message that is transferred via post is a letter, a written conversation between two parties. Now that E-mails ( Advantages and disadvantages ) and texts and other such forms have become the norm for communication, the art of letter writing has taken a backseat. However, even today a lot of our communication, especially the  formal kind , is done via letters. Whether it is ...